Hempcrete was approved for the model U.S. residential building code which is overseen by the International Code Council (ICC). Hemp-lime is a non-structural wall infill system using the hemp hurd.
What is Hempcrete (Hemp-Lime)
A Hempcrete is a wall system made of hemp hurd, hydraulic lime, and water. It acts as a highly efficient thermal regulator due to the thermal mass from the lime and the resistance of heat loss from the hemp. There are no chemical additives and yet it still has a fire spread of 0!
Feel The Difference
Hempcrete goes beyond the stud to create a monolithic wall and remove thermal bridging. That means no random cold spots in your wall. It also functions as a moisture regulator taking in excess moisture during high humidity and releasing moisture when the home is dry creating an incredibly comfortable home.
Healthy Building Materials
- Everything in Hempcrete (Hemp-lime) is natural, biodegradable, and reusable.
- The lime in Hempcrete (hemp-lime) has a high Ph which makes it difficult for viruses, bacteria and mold to survive.
- The building system allows for vapor to move through the walls. Humidity is controlled naturally, keeping your space at a comfortable and healthy level of moisture.
Earth Friendly & Sustainable
- Hempcrete is made with Hemp Core, Lime Binder, and Water. All these materials are completely natural and biodegradable.
- Hemp and lime absorb more carbon than they create. Depending on the distance needed for transportation this is either a carbon neutral or carbon negative product!
Save on Energy Costs
- Hempcrete is a dual method insulator. It has an R-value of 2 per inch and a high thermal mass that makes this material extremely energy efficient. Thermal mass stores heat and cold for long periods of time and releases it slowly for optimal temperature regulation.
- Hempcrete is installed as a monolithic wall, which eliminates thermal bridging where a lot of energy is lost in traditional insulation materials like fiberglass and mineral wool.
- Compared to a basic built home you can expect to save 30-60% on energy costs.
- Insects and rodents are not attracted to Hemp fiber and lime is toxic for them to eat so they will not attempt to chew on or nest in the material. Termites and mice are much less of a problem when you use Hemp-based materials.
What is HempWool?
The long bast fibers are used by Hempitecture to create a HempWool batt insulation product. HempWool installed between joists is plant-based, non-toxic, sustainable, itch free, and high performing. It is a dense material that holds form and therefore performs much better than its fiberglass counterpart.
Experience the Benefits
- Made from 92% hemp fiber
- HempWool provides an R value of 3.7 per inch.
- HempWool is carbon negative
- HempWool is easy to work with! Non-itch to the touch. Masks are still recommended to protect your lungs from small dust particles while working with it.
- HempWool is fire resistant.
We are certified professionals in applying a variety of plaster finishes. Depending on your hemp building technique, we offer a finish that is just right for you.
Finished Plaster Coat Over Drywall
- 1/8” finished coat smoothed to a completely flat surface.
- Ideal for matching interior walls to the finish of any existing full plaster walls.
Full Exterior render, 3 coat system
- Includes a Scratch coat base at 3/8” depth, a brown coat at 3/8” depth and a finish coat 1/8″. Requiring a lime wash finish for true water protection.
Clay Plaster Coatings
- Clay plaster from American Clay with pigment gives your home a natural feel with a high end look. The way light bounces off this finish is truly beautiful. A non toxic option and can be applied on drywall or lime plaster.
Interior lime plaster, 2-3 coat system
- No lath necessary, it can be applied directly to the non-moving Hempcrete wall, which means no risk of sagging over time.
- Includes a Scratch coat base at 3/8” depth, a brown coat at 3/8” depth, and a 1/8” finished coat smoothed to a completely flat surface.
Hemp Plaster finish - Interior
- A Lime and Hemp Core mix, finished at ½” depth and troweled smooth to coat the Hempcrete (for Hempcrete only)
Natural Paint Finishes
We are certified professionals in applying all-natural Limewash and mineral silicate paints, which are necessary for maintaining the integrity of the insulation’s vapor permeability. Regular household paints will cancel out this inherent benefit and should not be used on these materials, otherwise moisture will eventually be trapped inside the walls, which could lead to mold.
Healthy Building Solutions For Anywhere.
Healthy Building Solutions For Anywhere.
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
We won't spam!